A skincare and haircare routine has become a very important aspect of maintaining youthful and supple skin as well as strong and healthy hair. Everyday women stick to their daily routines to keep their hair, skin and nails looking as healthy and as strong as possible. While focusing on external factors can be very helpful, working from the inside out, on a cellular level, can prove to be a very beneficial addition to daily beauty routines. Age Defy was created just for this reason.
Age Defy works to strengthen and enhance hair, skin and nails through a precise formula that supplies a myriad of precursors and supporting nutrients. Let’s take a look.
– May help prevent age related decline in eyesight as well as night blindness
– May help reduce acne
– Vitamin A also helps skin glands make an oily substance called sebum. Sebum moisturizes the scalp and helps keep hair healthy. (1)
– Vitamin C is essential for the production of collagen, a protein that gives shape, strength and integrity to many tissues and is the building block of fingernails, hair and teeth.
– According to an article published by Harvard, “A few clinical studies have demonstrated that vitamin C can improve wrinkles. One study showed that daily use of a vitamin C formulation for at least three months improved the appearance of fine and coarse wrinkles of the face and neck, as well as improved overall skin texture and appearance.” (2)
– May help fight off dandruff, prevent premature greying of hair, combat hair loss and prevent weakening of the hair strands. (3)
Biotin & other B Vitamins
– Biotin promotes healthy cell growth and aids in the metabolism of protein building amino acids that are essential for nail growth. One study in 35 people with brittle fingernails found that 2.5 mg of biotin per day for six weeks to seven months improved symptoms in 63% of participants. (4)
– According to this study, in cases of acquired and inherited causes of biotin deficiency as well as pathologies, such as brittle nail syndrome or uncombable hair, biotin supplementation may be of benefit. However, more research is needed. (5)
– Vitamin B, or biotin, supports the production of fatty acids that nourish the skin, and help oil glands function properly.
– According to healthyfood.com, “Zinc can help protect the skin against sun damage. It also has antimicrobial effects, which means that zinc can help treat bacterial skin conditions such as bacterial acne. A symptom of zinc deficiency is hair loss, so adding zinc to a hair, skin and nails supplement may help ensure suboptimal levels are corrected.” (6)
– Beta-sitosterol is thought to promote hair growth by blocking DHT. It does so by inhibiting the production of 5-alpha-reductase, so testosterone can no longer be converted into DHT. Beta-sitosterol has been shown to support healthy hair growth and improve the condition of hair. It may also promote circulation to the scalp, helping hair follicles get the supply of oxygen and nutrients they need. (7, 8)
– L-cysteine amino acid is one of the main building blocks of the keratin, a fibrous protein that makes up the structure of skin, nails and hair. Without enough L-cysteine to maintain keratin structures, your hair will weaken and be prone to breakage.
– Keratin is a scleroprotein and a protein that is actually made up of a combination of 18 amino acids, most of which are sulphur containing, such as cysteine or methionine. Thus the hair is also made up of 14% cysteine, and the nails, 10%. Cysteine’s high sulphur content makes it important for the cohesion, stability and resistance of keratin, and as a result, that of the hair and nails.
Horse Tail Powder
– According to kosmea.com, “Horsetail has the highest amount of silica in the plant kingdom, a powerful healing herb which was used as far back as ancient China and Europe for inflammation, cooling fevers, for fluid retention, to heal skin conditions and to strengthen hair and nails. It also contains calcium, iron, manganese and antioxidants. Besides being an antioxidant, horsetail is also an antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory herb.” (9)
– According to this study, “Both doses of MSM appeared to significantly increase hair volume after 8 weeks of use (P<0.001) (Fig. 1 C-I) and hair volume continued to improve over the course of the study. The high dose (3 g/day) tended to be much more effective than the lower dose (1 g/day). Most subjects agreed that the product improved their hair volume (Fig. 1 C-II).” (10)
Nettle Leaf extract
– Acts as natural astringent, tightens and firms the skin, regulates natural sebum production, treats acne, promotes flawless skin.
– Accelerates the healing process of wounds and burns, helps with skin allergies, heals eczema.
– Strengthens and fortifies hair follicles, helps hair growth, treats dandruff.
Ginger Root Extract
– According to thehealthy.com, “Ginger has been revered as an anti-aging ingredient in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for thousands of years,” says Punnapuzha. “The antioxidants present in ginger increases collagen production, reduce skin damage, and inflammation.” Ginger has also been known to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation (dark blotches of skin). (11)
– “Ginger is excellent in aiding the hair growth process,” says Shadoh Punnapuzha, founder of all-natural, Ayurvedic-inspired skincare line Arya Essentials. “It stimulates scalp follicles, nourishes strands and combats hair loss.” (11)
– “The antiseptic and anti-oxidant ingredients in ginger respectively help fight against the bacteria and free radicals that cause acne,” says Tshibemba. “It also helps promote skin renewal, improves blood circulation and reduces blemishes.” (11)
– May help fight dandruff. – May help improve the look and feel of stretch marks.
– May help treat toenail fungus. Brazilian scientists studied the effectiveness of Curcumin against 23 strains of fungi found that Curcumin completely inhibited the growth of candida albicans. The study also revealed that Curcumin was much more potent against the fungi than the most prescribed over the counter medication fluconazole. (12)
– The Hyaluronic Acid helps to moisturize and nourish the collagen to enhance your beauty from within. It helps to plump skin, support collagen elasticity, and promote healthy hair, skin and nails.
As you can see, Age Defy is an all around powerhouse for improving and combatting signs of aging on a cellular level.